Full-Time Faculty Position
Chair of the Department of Health,Wellness and Physical Education
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
The Department of Health, Wellness and Physical Education is seeking a department chair to lead and create a visionary program plan, conduct classroom instruction at the higher educational level in a manner which intentionally affirms the Seventh-day Adventist ministry of teaching and incorporates insights from the Adventist Blue Zone advantage.
- Creates and leads implementation of academic program plan which aligns with and showcases the Adventist Blue Zone well being and longevity insights.
- Conducts classroom instruction for one or more courses in the curriculum at the higher educational level.
- Designs and implements effective teaching/learning processes and develops curriculum in physical education, health and wellness and related areas.
- Remains current in discipline and update course content when appropriate to reflect the current levels of knowledge in discipline.
- Prepares course outline and syllabus, develops course and lesson plans, and engages in the selection of textbook and other teaching aids necessary to the instruction of courses.
- Fosters student development.
- Supervises and maintain laboratories and equipment.
- Serve as academic advisor to students.
- Works in partnership with the Center for Learning Resources and Academic Support on student advising and orientation.
- Participates in necessary institutional functions such as, but not limited to, university committees, club sponsorships, and facilitation of advisory committees, student/faculty recruitment, and mentoring of new and part-time faculty.
- Achieves academic financial objectives by preparing and managing annual budgets.
- Develops a sense of team and commitment to distinctive academic institution through the collaboration of full time and adjunct faculty instruction.
- Supports a spirit of excellence in service.
- Attends mandatory Convocation every Wednesday.
Benefits package includes:
- Doctorate degree with curriculum awareness in one of the following areas: physical education, kinesiology, physiology of exercise, health education, or exercise science.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience teaching physical education, health, wellness and related fields (kinesiology, exercise physiology, sports management, or related disciplines).
- At least two years of academic supervisory experience.
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.34 CRF (and subsections), insofar as they conflict with the Seventh-day Adventist teaching and practices.
- Health care, including vision, dental and prescription drug
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Competitive 403B retirement plan
- Individualized retirement planning sessions
- Tuition assistance for employees, spouse and dependents
- Life insurance including supplemental and accidental death and dismemberment policies
- Long Term Disability
- Long Term Care Insurance
- AFLAC insurance
- Legal Assistance Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness programs
- Professional development