Security Officer (Full-Time)
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Department of Public Safety
Position is available immediately
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
Patrols University premises to protect persons and property; maintains order; enforces regulations; and ensures observance of applicable laws .
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains a safe environment by explaining and enforcing applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances and University policy; teaches preventive, protective, and defensive tactics; mediates disputes; patrols assigned area; responds to notices of disturbances; observes suspicious behavior.
- Secures facilities, operations, and personnel by patrolling property; monitors surveillance equipment; inspects buildings, equipment, and access points; and responds to emergencies.
- Prevents loss or damage by reporting irregularities; informs violators of policy and procedures; restrains trespassers.
- Completes reports by recording observations, information, occurrences, and surveillance activities; interviews witnesses; obtains signatures.
- Maintains environment by monitoring and setting building and equipment controls; conducts routine inspections.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; follows manufacturer's instructions; troubleshoots malfunctions; calls for repairs; evaluates new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains confidentiality and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Complies with legal requirements.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by studying applicable federal, state, and local laws and ordinances; attends educational workshops; reviews professional publications; practices skills; participates in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- High School Diploma; or General Education Degree
- One to two years of related experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Conversational Spanish helpful but not required
- Strong interpersonal, problem-solving, conflict resolution, and customer service skills
- Must exhibit leadership ability
- Demonstrated capacity for planning and follow through
- Must be eligible to obtain State of Maryland Special Police Officer license within 6 months of employment
- Valid Driver’s License for state of residence
- Must be able to pass criminal background check
The employee is regularly exposed to outside weather. The employee is occasionally required to travel locally. Frequent long hours and weekend work required.
Benefits package includes:
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.34 CRF (and subsections), insofar as they conflict with the Seventh-day Adventist teaching and practices.
- Health care, including vision, dental and prescription drug
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Competitive 403B plan Retirement Plan
- Tuition assistance for employees, spouse and dependents
- Life insurance including supplemental and accidental death and dismemberment policies
- Long Term Disability
- Long Term Care Insurance
- AFLAC insurance
- Legal Assistance Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness programs
- Professional development classes