Job Title: Director of Admissions
Department: Enrollment Management
Reports To: VP of Enrollment Mgmt
Prepared By: Human Resources
Position Grade: DIR
FLSA Status: Exempt
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued, and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of the title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
Responsible for managing and directing the admissions process.
- Will be managing recruiters: 5 direct reports: International Student Advisor; Receptionist; Admissions Specialist; Admissions Operations Manager; CRM Administrator.
- Primary goals:
- Ensure synergy with the Recruiting arm of Enrollment Management;
- Ensure seamless back-of-office admissions operations to support a high volume of recruiting and conversions;
- Make sure Admissions Operations Manager completes all submitted applications with required documents within 3 days of submit.
- Make sure International Student Advisor issues all I-20s within 3 days of receiving all financial documentation.
- Ensure international student arrivals to the US is seamless & all information is clearly communicated every step of the way.
- Ensure the highest level of professionalism at the Front Desk, including all email responses to prospective students.
- Manage cleanup of data flows in Radius; look into potential migration into Salesforce within 1 year.
- Collaborate closely with the Registrar’s Office.
- Spearhead 10 new articulation agreements with community colleges - locally and nationally in Year 1 to ensure higher volume of enrollments from these target audiences.
- Look for ways to improve efficiencies in admissions and admissions operations.
- Find ways to improve efficiencies in processes interdepartmentally - for the benefit of the prospects/applicants.
- Develop an understanding of our DACA students and the additional support they need.
- 7-10 years of relevant experience.
- Must have managed a $15M admissions team previously.
- Respectful and humble - yet hard working and always delivers.
- Goals driven & numbers driven.
- Is an extremely strong & effective project manager.
- Strong implementer & action and goals-oriented.
- Understand how to manage a large team of recruiters and is effective in getting a team to not only meet specific quotas - but over deliver on a consistent basis.
Receives direct supervision from the VP for Enrollment Management
Has supervisory responsibility over recruiters.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, training employees; planning, assigning and directing work, appraising performance, rewarding and competencies
Analytical - Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree required and two to four years of related experience and/or training. Experience should be in admissions, recruiting or sales.
Superior command of English grammar and spelling, excellent verbal and written communication, exceptional presentation and public speaking ability.
Mathematical and Technology Skills:
Ability to analyze financial documents statistical data using mathematical formulas and tools, working knowledge and application of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
Ability to learn new software packages.
Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables, applies logical or scientific methods to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Must exhibit leadership skills, organization skills, attention to detail, possesses capacity for planning, organizing and controlling, and advanced skills in team building, motivation, and conflict resolution.
- Expert user of higher education CRMs. We use Radius by Campus Management for prospect and applicant data and Colleague for student data.
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.