Music Therapy Program Director (Full-time Faculty)
Department of Music
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
Washington Adventist University is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and approved by the American Music Therapy Association. The Department of Music offers a Bachelor of Arts in Music, Bachelor of Music degrees in Music Performance and Music Therapy, a Music Therapy Equivalency Program, and a Music Minor. It is the purpose of the Department of Music to provide professional training, reinforced by a sound general education, in an environment where music is presented as a medium for spiritual, intellectual, emotional and cultural development.
The incumbent in this position will lead the Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy and Music Therapy Equivalency degree programs - the only such tertiary programs in the state of Maryland and in the Seventh-day Adventist education system in North America. We are seeking an energetic and passionate individual to provide leadership and advocacy to this new area.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
• Administer the program, actively recruit students, advise students, serve on university committees, and perform community and alumni outreach
• Report directly to the Chair of the Department of Music
• Teach music therapy courses
• Provide annual assessment of the music therapy program
• Lead the implementation of a Master’s of Music Therapy program
• Oversee the development of an on-campus music therapy clinic
• Provide advocacy for the field of music therapy
• Earned doctorate in the field of Music Therapy plus clinical experience in the field are requirements. ABD and Master’s degree candidates pursuing a PhD with extensive music therapy experience both clinical and in academia will be considered.
• Candidate must be a Board-Certified Music Therapist (MT-BC).
• Evidence of excellence in teaching at the university level plus potential for high profile national recognition are desired qualifications.
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.