Job Title: Office Assistant
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Department: The Financial Aid Department
Reports To: Director of Financial Aid
Date of Posting: 05/14/21
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
The Financial Aid Assistant is responsible for providing exceptional customer service by politely answering calls/emails and questions from walk-ins and contributing to the overall effectiveness of the Student Financial Aid Department and the University. He or she works in a highly responsible, fast-paced position reporting to the Director of Student Financial Services. He or she must be (1) maintain a high level of confidentiality, (2) highly proficient with computer technology and database management, (3) manage documents, files, and mailings, and (4) efficient, organized, patient and dedicated to world-class customer service.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Greets and assists students, families, faculty and staff in person, via email, and over the telephone
- Works at the front desk and performs typical administrative functions, such as answering questions, receiving and providing paperwork, and responding to customer needs.
- Acts as a customer service liaison to students and parents.
- Schedule meetings, ordering of office supplies and distributes office mail
- Provides guidance and instructions for various student functions, such as FAFSA completion, federal verification, and student loan requirements
- Manages the office filing system by maintaining a filing system for official documents and
- Assists with financial aid presentations on campus and off- campus
- Assist in a variety of department operations; perform special projects and assignments as requested
- Maintains strict confidentiality of all activities in the Student Financial Aid office
- Acts as minute taker for meetings
- Supports and affirms a culture of distinctive excellence and exceptional service
- Attends and university events and required meetings
- Performs other duties as assigned
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.
- Must be able to work 38 hours per week and the ability and willingness to rotate work schedule between days, evenings, and some weekend hours.
- Must be detail- oriented.
- Must have good telephone skills and communicate effectively.
- Must exhibit dependability and punctuality.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must exhibit ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Must be able to work in a team-oriented, fast-paced, and multi-tasking environment.
- Must have experience in an office setting
- Must have a high school diploma, its equivalency or higher
- Preferably English/Spanish fluency
- Basic computational skills using a calculator
- Working knowledge and application of Microsoft Office Suite
- Must have high energy and a high degree of enthusiasm
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality regarding extremely sensitive matters
- Willingness to learn a vast array of systems and websites for financial aid