Job Title: Director of Accounting Services/Controller
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Department: Accounting Services
Reports To: EVP of Finance
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
Perform accounting responsibilities for all finance, accounting, and reporting activities as listed below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for managing the monthly close, year-end close and audit preparation for external auditors
- Responsible for reviewing internal control and making suggestions to the CFO
- Responsible for maintenance of accounting procedure manual and Ellucian Colleague manual.
- Responsible for General Ledger account setup and maintenance of the Ellucian Colleague code structure.
- Prepares Financial Statements for Washington Adventist University.
- Prepares Year End Financial Statements.
- Completes note disclosure form.
- Reviews journal entries and adjustments to the General Ledger.
- Supervises monthly Operating Statements sent to the Finance Committee of the Board.
- Responsible for Tax reporting for Washington Adventist University
- Supports and affirms a culture of distinctive excellence and exceptional service.
- Attends university events and, required meetings (including weekly Convocation)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Received: Receives direct supervision from the EVP for Finance
- Given: Supervises General Ledger Accountant, AP Manager, and Cashier
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Language Skills:
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to present before small and large groups
- Technology Skills:
- Knowledge and application of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, spreadsheet and database.
- Ability to learn new software applications
- Reasoning Ability:
- Ability to deal with a variety of office situations.
- Applies logical or scientific methods to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must exhibit leadership skills.
- Possesses capacity for planning, organizing and controlling.
- Advanced skills in team building, motivation, and conflict resolution.
- Physical Demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee will frequently be called upon and must be able to work long hours under stressful conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear.
Education and/or Experience:
- B.A. or B.S. in accounting or finance, MBA or CPA preferred
- Five years related experience in Accounting and Audit Preparation, preferably in higher education or non-profit organization
- Three years of hands-on experience with an ERP, preferably Ellucian Colleague experience
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.