HR Generalist / Benefit Specialist (Full-time TEMP
AVP of HR
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
Administers policies and performs HR services relating to all phases of human resources activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Education and Experience
- Manages day-to-day operations of HR “front office”, to include reception area and functional aspects of payroll, benefits, onboarding (student, staff, regular faculty, adjunct faculty). Provides structure to front office operations, establishing/enhancing procedures, revising forms
- Maintains knowledge of legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions and ensures policies, procedures and reporting are in compliance.
- Coordinates employee benefit administration and orientation, to include handling worker’s compensation, ADA and FMLA requests/reviews, benefits enrollment and retirement processing, and open enrollment/benefits fair.
- Coordinates Employee Assistance Program.
- Assist AVP of HR in obtaining statistics and information in the benefits renewal and/or implementation process. Makes recommendations for appropriate implementation strategy.
- Oversees the maintenance and accuracy of employee Datatel records. Serves as liaison with assigned unit leaders on talent acquisition, identifying HR issues for unit leader/AVPHR, and proposing solutions to meet unit and University needs.
- Assist AVP of HR with salary and other HR survey reporting, government reporting (such as IPEDS, new hire registry, unemployment reporting, etc), and with reviewing salary and position requests.
- Assists in the appropriate resolution of employee relations issues.
- Coordinate with Accounting Department to resolve payroll issues.
- Communicate details of benefit plans.
- Responsible for benefits enrollment and processing, including ensuring accurate information in the various benefit databases.
- Gather and maintain needed documentation, such as checklists, benefit packets, etc.
- Resolves employee inquiries about benefits by interpreting appropriate policies and procedures.
- Supports and affirms a culture of distinctive excellence and exceptional service.
- Attends university events and, required meetings (including weekly Convocation)
- Coordinate compliance training for WAU employees
- Performs other duties as assigned by AVP of HR.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, management or a related field;
- Three to five years of experience working in a human resources office; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- PHR or SHRM certification preferred
- Advanced experience with Ellucian Colleague software required
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
– Solving conflicts; maintains confidentiality; listens without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; willing to try new things.
– Strong attention to details and maintains accuracy in data entry, records management and other aspects of the job.
– Balances team and individual responsibilities; open to others’ ideas; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to a positive team spirit
– Displays a willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision making; makes timey decisions
– Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Superior command of English grammar and spelling, ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community, ability to effectively present information individually and/or in small groups.
Mathematical and Technology Skills
- Ability to analyze reports with financial information, such as payroll reports, invoices, etc; proficiency with office technologies (Microsoft Office, Datatel or other HRIS), ability to analyze personnel reports, ability to learn other software packages.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee will occasionally be called upon and must be able to work long hours. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear.