Washington Adventist University
Job Title: Adjunct Faculty II
Reports To: Chair
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
Washington Adventist University is seeking candidates to expand its pool of adjunct faculty in the Department of (Music) to teach day and evening courses. The department may have a need in the near future for adjunct faculty to teach 1) music education courses. Applications will be reviewed periodically based on student enrollment needs. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not automatically accepted to teach at Washington Adventist University. Decisions to hire applicants are made at the discretion of the department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach lectures for music majors and minors
- Teach pertinent course content using lectures, demonstrations, class discussion, and other appropriate modes of educational delivery that promote educational and learning processes
- Prepare course outlines and syllabi, develop course and lesson plans, and engage in the selection of textbook and other teaching aids necessary to the instruction of courses
- Maintain appropriate record keeping for assigned classes and assessments as required by departmental guidelines
- Mentor students in education and career goals
Title VII Exception Notice
- Master of Music from accredited institution in specific teaching area
- Ability to integrate technology into course delivery
- Ability to communicate and work with a diverse population of students
- Prior university teaching experience or equivalent experience preferred
- Knowledge of, and commitment to, the university’s philosophy, mission, and core values
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.