Job Title: WAU Student - Desk Worker, Halcyon Hall
Department: Halcyon Hall
Reports To: The Dean of Women
Date: Immediate Opening
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
Position includes responsibility for front desk operation to support residence hall
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following are the duties and responsibilities for this position. Other duties may be assigned.
- Providing friendly and warm greetings to all
- Remain alert of all activity taking place at front desk and in lobby at all times
- Answer incoming calls
- Transfer incoming calls to appropriate department or individuals
- Make public address announcements
- Notify dean on duty or security of emergencies
- Insure visitors and workers sign in upon entering residence hall
- Seek appropriate approval from dean on duty for residents requesting males to assist in moving items to rooms
- Monitor front desk forms and supplies (sign-in/sign out sheets, log sheets, pens, etc.)
- Read and know all current residence hall notices, announcements, and revised policies/procedures
- Maintain confidentiality of resident room numbers and phone extensions
- Keep desk, trash can, and work area clean free from trash and clutter
- Enter all information pertaining to events occurring during shift for next desk worker in desk worker log
- Ensure all residence hall keys are accounted for before end of shift
- Keep timecard current
- Attend all desk worker meetings
- In cases of illness or excused absence from work coordinate with other desk workers, sub-desk workers, Assistant Head Desk Worker, or Head Desk Worker to cover shift and document shift change in log book
- Arrive on time for each shift
- Dress appropriately for Sabbath shifts and during residence hall open hours of 6am – Curfew (no hoodies, jewelry, pajamas, low cut or revealing clothing, etc. see student handbook section on dress code).
- Do not allow fliers to be posted without approval from dean on duty
- Know emergency response procedures (see Desk Worker Manual)
- Secure payments from guests in appropriate locked box
- Keep male rest room locked
- Monitor camera while on duty
- Packages and residents personal items are not to be received or left at the desk
- No cell phones are to be used at work
- File all signed leave request in the appropriate box for residents to pick up and secretary to file
- No leave requests forms are to be received at the desk after 11pm Thursday night. Direct resident to see dean on duty.
- Date all sign-in/sign-out sheet with current date at curfew each night.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Title VII Exception Notice
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good customer service skills
- Must be responsible
- Must be enrolled as a full time student and maintain a 2.5 GPA
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.