Washington Adventist University
Job Title: Adjunct Faculty, Communication/Journalism
Overview of the University:
Reports To: Chair
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
The Communication/Journalism Department at Washington Adventist University is seeking candidates to expand its pool of adjunct faculty
teaching day and evening classes. Applicants submitting applications are applying to be part of the adjunct pool
of instructors. Applications may be reviewed periodically based on student enrollment needs. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not automatically accepted to teach at Washington Adventist University. Decisions to hire applicants are made at the discretion of the department.
- Teach and develop the curriculum with assistance. Develop and deliver lessons that are current, creative, and accurate.
- Prepare and provide students with course outlines that support learning objectives set forth in the course syllabus.
- Develop and measure learning outcomes. Assess student performance and maintain grade records.
- Create an effective learning environment through the use of a variety of instructional methods. Maintain a classroom environment that enhances learning.
- Maintain appropriate record keeping for assigned classes and submit assessment data to the appropriate lead or chair, consistent with departmental guidelines.
- Mentor students to help them achieve their educational goals and objectives.
- Grade assessments of student learning appropriate for the course taught.
- Maintain currency of knowledge of technical skills and teaching methodologies in the areas of instruction.
- Participate in meetings and professional development for adjunct faculty.
- Ensure compliance with college policies, guidelines and processes.
- Maintain proficiency in online learning management system, instructional technologies, and instructional design.
Title VII Exception Notice
- Master’s degree in Communication, Public Relations or any related field from an accredited college or university.
- Knowledge and or experience in Macintosh, computers, Excel, cameras, video equipment if applicable to the assigned course.
- Ability to integrate technology into course delivery.
- Ability to communicate and work with a diverse population of students both in and outside the classroom.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Prior college or university teaching experience preferred.
- Knowledge of, and commitment to, the university’s philosophy, mission and core values.
Washington Adventist University is committed to equal employment opportunities, and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, age, race, color, or national origin. The University reserves constitutional and statutory rights as a religious institution and employer to give preference in employment to members of the Seventh-day Adventist church, and claims specific exemption from Title IX provisions as set forth in 34 CRF (and subsections), insofar as they conflict with the Seventh-day Adventist teaching and practices.