Job Title: Resident Assistant
Job Class: Non-Exempt
Department: The Center for Student Life, Office of Residence Life
Reports To: Dean of Women
Posting Date: March 3, 2021
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
Selection of the Resident Assistant (RA) for the residence halls at the Washington Adventist University is a distinct honor and a rewarding opportunity for personal and professional growth. Resident Assistants play a key role in the experience of all new and returning students and their families by guiding and leading them through their college experiences at WAU. Resident Assistants will have the unique opportunity to be one of the first faces of the university presented to incoming freshmen and transfer students. Individuals selected to the team will participate in various training and leadership development activities in order to prepare them for the very critical role as a peer facilitator and educator.
- Reports to the residence hall deans.
- Assists with daily operational procedures: check-ins, check-outs, damage assessment, room changes, lock-outs, Identifying and reporting maintenance and safety issues, etc.
- Responds to student conduct issues, which violate university and residence hall policies, procedures, and/or expectations, and approaches discipline in an educational and character building manner.
- Completes and submits in a timely and accurate fashion, all paperwork regarding residence hall operations, as requested by the residence hall deans.
- Attends and actively participates in training sessions and retreats.
- Works closely and cooperates with other residence hall staff to develop, prepare, implement, and evaluate the residence hall educational, social, spiritual and cultural programs.
- Answers student questions about a variety of aspects of university life in a positive, professional manner.
- Serves as a positive representative of the university to all students and their families
- Leads out in residence hall registration processes.
- Participates in activities while interacting with other Student Life professionals
- Must be currently enrolled at WAU
- No active university sanctions
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher throughout your tenure as an RA
- Be well respected by the residents and residence hall staff
- Must have lived in the residence hall for at least one semester
- Be a sophomore or higher class standing
- Have ability to speak publicly, both for small or large groups.
- Demonstrate flexibility, responsibility and willingness to assist others
- Exercise open mindedness and be willing to step outside of one’s comfort zone
- Ability to work independently or as a team
- Professional growth and development, in how to do budgeting, record keeping, conflict resolution, worship preparation, interaction with other disciplines, relationship and community building
- Private room at a discounted rate
- Early move in privilege
- $15 per hour
- 20 work hours maximum per week
Submit an online application by 5:00p
on Monday, March 29, 2021
Two references are required. Also, please submit the answers to the following two questions:
- Why do you believe you are worth following as a student leader?
- Tell us about an experience that changed your life?
The residence hall staff will review all applications. Individual interviews for selected candidates is Wednesday, March 31 and Thursday, April 1, 2021
. Group interviews for those students moved to the next round is Monday, April 5, 2021
Final group interviews, based on application, references, and quality of the individual interviews, is Wednesday, April 7, 2021
. New Resident Assistants notified on Friday, April 9, 2021.
Resident Assistants must return to campus on Sunday, August 8, 2021 by 6:00 pm.
Formal, mandatory training is scheduled for Monday, August 9- Wednesday, August 11, 2021
and Residence Hall Training is Thursday, August 12 and Friday, August 13, 2021
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.