Human Resources Assistant (Part-time)
Office of Human Resources
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
The Human Resources Assistant will be responsible for a variety of clerical and administrative tasks. The ideal candidate will have an interest in the field of human resources and have excellent attention to detail, customer service and interpersonal skills. You will have the opportunity to be involved in a wide range of administrative projects and tasks. Working onsite required.
- Welcomes guests, employees and students, in person (virtual during COVID-19), by phone, email, Zoom, answering or directing inquiries.
- Checks phone messages.
- Checks emails submitted to HR frequently and responds to them quickly and efficiently, with the correct information.
- Assists new hires with completing new hire paperwork.
- Assists Senior Human Resources Generalist with basic HR data entry, payroll, and with maintaining the applicant tracking system.
- Creates new files for new hires as needed and assists with filing HR paperwork.
- Opens and routes incoming mail, answers correspondence, and prepares outgoing mail.
- Processes PRAISE cards for each employee and their supervisor.
- Process Verification of Employment requests
- Maintains Office of Human Resources bulletin board, and general supplies.
- Scans documents as needed and send out faxes as needed.
- Checks to make sure all forms are up to date.
- Filing and maintain a cohesive manual filing system.
- Assist in campus career fairs, benefits open enrollment and other HR related events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Excellent attention to detail, customer service and interpersonal skills
- Must be comfortable and efficient with managing multiple priorities and with working independently
- Must enjoy working as a member of a team
- Exceptionally organized
- Strong sense of professionalism and maturity
- Strong understanding of importance of confidentiality
- Strong work ethic and integrity
- Reporting skills
- Maintaining employee files
- Verbal communication
Title VII Exception Notice
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Prior experience in human resource roles is preferred
- Familiarity with Microsoft office software a plus
- Efficiency with computer
- Bilingual preferred, but not required
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.