: Custodial Services
Housekeeping Technician 1
Title of Immediate Supervisor:
Executive Director of Facility Services
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
The Housekeeping Technician 1 perform routine housekeeping duties as indicated by the detailed work schedule per building and as assigned by the supervisor and/or director. Performs other duties as needed.
: The responsibilities of the position will include, but may not be limited to:
- Empties trash and waste containers.
- Cleans and sanitizes restrooms.
- Cleans partitions, walls, and sinks.
- Sweeps and mops the floor.
- Vacuums carpeting.
- Refills dispensers (paper, soap, etc.).
- Dusts furniture and equipment.
- Cleans windows as needed.
- Polishes or cleans kick plates and handrails.
- Dusts or cleans vents and grills.
- Reports any damage or unusual circumstance.
- Secures exterior doors.
* This document is not all-inclusive as to the Essential and Marginal functions of the job and is subject to the change.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Buffs and/or waxes resilient floors and shampoos carpets.
- Drives small pickup/car.
: Able to move with agility to transport equipment; maintain hand and finger dexterity to perform basic maintenance tasks; follow general safety protocols. Able to work professionally with colleagues in a manner that generates mutual respect and a positive working environment; work with limited supervision. Able to relate and communicate positively, effectively, and professionally with others; work calmly and respond courteously when under pressure; accept direction. Able to perform basic math functions (e.g., add, subtract, multiply and divide); calculate percentages, area, circumference and volume; apply common sense to carry out instructions provided in written, oral or diagram form. Able to organize and prioritize work load; define problems and solutions; make recommendations; manage time effectively and plan and implement objectives effective. Able to communicate effectively in English in person, in writing, and on the telephone. Able to distinguish colors as necessary; hear sufficiently for general conversation in person and on the telephone, and identify and distinguish various sounds associated with the workplace; see adequately to read computer screens, and written documents necessary to the position.
Education and Experience
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.
- High School Diploma or GED required. No prior experience required.
- Licensure, Certification, or Registration: Valid Driver’s License required at time of hire.
- Exposure to Hazards
- Age Specific Criteria: Age specific criteria pertinent to this position are contained and described within the department Performance Standards; additional criteria may be listed in separate documents by the department.
- Other: None