Washington Adventist University
Job Title: Veteran Admission Coordinator (WAU Students Only)
Department: The Office of Admissions & Recruitment
Reports To: The Director of Admissions & Recruitment
Date: Immediate Opening
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
This position is dedicated to attracting, enrolling, and retaining veteran/family members from point of prospect, inquiry, application, orientation, registration, and completion. The position coordinates recruitment efforts for prospective veterans, active duty, and reservist and family members.
Responsible for monitoring and supporting the students utilizing veteran education benefits and to ensure they have the support they need while enrolled. Responsible for contacting agencies that support veterans and follow up with federal agencies regarding veterans. Maintains positive relationships with staff from the Department of MD Veteran Services, local veterans groups, businesses, and community organizations. The Coordinator will participate and support programming geared towards veteran success and advocate for institution support. Identify grant-related efforts focused on Veterans. This position requires travel and occasional scheduled night and weekend commitments. Responsible for demonstrating WAU mission and vision in all interactions including campus events.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinates all admissions and registration processes according to regulations pertaining to students utilizing veteran education benefits.
- Communicates and interprets Department of Veteran Affairs and regulations as they apply to prospective, current, and former students. Collaborate with the VA representative in regard to certifying student's eligibility for VA each academic semester. Works closely with assigned VA staff as appropriate
- Responsible for monitoring and supporting the students utilizing veteran education benefits and to ensure they have the support needed during recruitment and registration.
- Knowledge and ability to develop and implements programming geared towards veteran success. Will work in partnership with Accessibility Services, Career Services, Student Life, Financial Aid, WAU Foundation, and Academic Advising. Support grant-related efforts focused on Veterans.
- Champions student organization(s) that support veteran students.
- Responsible for assisting incoming transient students and processing their applications.
- Responsible for maintaining the Veterans Lounge/Center.
- Provides back-up assistance and support to the Admission process including, Financial Aid
- Records and student account staff including departmental projects and initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Associate's degree from a regionally accredited institution required
or currently enrolled in college
Minimum of two years of related work experience in a customer service area.
: Minimum one year work experiences in one or more of the following areas, Admissions, Records, Advising, Student Life, Residential Life, Veteran Affairs; demonstrated experience with data entry.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.34 CRF (and subsections), insofar as they conflict with the Seventh-day Adventist teaching and practices.
Position will be open until filled
- Must be able to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Good communication skills; Preferred bilingual
- Ability to communicate with people from diverse backgrounds; demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize and work well where time constraints are involved.
- Ability to handle multi-tasked office environment.
- Ability to demonstrate the Excellence Standards of respect, competence, responsiveness and collaboration when interacting with students, employees, visitors, and community members.