Washington Adventist University
JOB TITLE: Scholarship Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Student Financial Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Student Financial Services
DATE: IMMEDIATE OPENING
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
The Scholarship Coordinator is responsible for administering the University’s scholarship programs, as well as contributing to the overall effectiveness of the Student Financial Services Department and the University. He or she works in a highly responsible, fast-paced position reporting to the Director of Student Financial Services and must be (1) highly proficient with computer technology and database management, (2) able and willing to engage professionally with a broad array of the University’s constituents in the school’s work, and (3) efficient, organized and capable of exercising independent judgment and action. This role will administer internal and external scholarship.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
The Scholarship Coordinator administers all scholarship program activities, including:
- Developing scholarship information, application forms, reports and processes that assure access, accountability and adherence to donor intent, program guidelines and processes as well as the University’s polices.
- Communicating with students, parents, counselors, colleges, donors and other involved parties.
- Processing applications and managing awards efficiently and accurately in an online scholarship system.
Scholarship Fund Administration
- Working with various departments across the campus to determine annual award amounts, disburse funds and prepare reconciliation reports.
- Participating in Student in Student Finance Committee meetings.
- Assisting with updating policies, procedures, website and marketing materials.
- Compiles and reports metrics on a monthly basis to assess the University’s performance in awarding scholarships.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of all activities in the Student Financial Services office.
- Supports and affirms a culture of distinctive excellence and exceptional service.
- Attends university events and required meetings
- Attends mandatory weekly Convocation
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Steward a portfolio of internal and external scholarship programs. Implement the annual application and selection processes including program design, advertising, recruitment, eligibility review, and customer service with students and families.
- Work directly with other departments to ensure the nomination of eligible scholars meets donor intent and established criteria
- Respond to general inquiries to Washington Adventist University about all scholarship programs
- Assist the Director of Student Financial Services with other scholarship and department tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and prior experience in scholarship administration within a private or public environment.
- Ability to be self-directed and work autonomously and maintain a high degree of organization
- Project Management experience
- Relationship building and facilitation skills
- Adept at Microsoft Office
- Excellent communication skills: both written and oral
- Ability to manage deadlines and multitask
- Proven track record of providing excellent customer service
- Ability to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds
Prior experience in higher education, financial aid office at an accredited public or private college/university
Mathematical and Technology Skills:
- Bilingual preferably English/Spanish fluency
- Exceptional presentation and public speaking ability.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Basic computational skills using a calculator.
- Working knowledge and application of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Preference given to candidates with experience using Ellucian Colleague.
- Must have high energy and a high degree of enthusiasm.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality regarding extremely sensitive matters.
- Ability to travel
- Ability and willingness to rotate work schedule between days and evenings.
- Ability to work some weekend hours.
- Willingness to learn a vast array of systems and websites for financial aid
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of the job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee will frequently be called upon and must be able to work long hours under stressful conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear.
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
- Must be able to provide at least three professional references.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time.
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.