Music Therapy Program Director (Full-time Faculty)
Department of Music
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Anticipated start date - 2019/2020 Academic Year
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
The Department of Music at Washington Adventist University offers a Bachelor of Arts in Music, Bachelor of Music degrees in Music Performance and Music Education, and a Music Minor. Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, it is the purpose of the Department of Music to provide professional training, reinforced by a sound general education, in an environment where music is presented as a medium for spiritual, intellectual, emotional and cultural development.
The incumbent in this position will lead the Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy and Music Therapy Equivalency degree programs at Washington Adventist University – new degree programs for the University. This is the only music therapy degree program in the state of Maryland and in the Seventh-day Adventist tertiary education system in North America. We are seeking an energetic and passionate individual to provide direction and leadership to this new area.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
- Administer the program, actively recruit students, advise students, serve on university committees, and perform community and alumni outreach
- Teach music therapy courses
- Oversee practicum placements and internships
- Assess and publicize the music therapy program
- Lead the development of a Master’s of Music Therapy program
- Earned doctorate in the field of Music Therapy plus clinical experience in the field are requirements. ABD and Master’s degree candidates pursuing a PhD with extensive music therapy experience both clinical and in academia will be considered.
- Candidate must be a Board-Certified Music Therapist (MT-BC).
- Evidence of excellence in teaching at the university level plus potential for high profile national recognition are desired qualifications.
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.
- When completing the online application you will be required to upload a statement of your teaching philosophy. Please limit your statement to no more than two pages.