OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
Provides leadership and coordination for all aspects of the university registration/records activities by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In accordance with the institution’s core values, directs University Registrar activities by coordinating preparation of academic records, course and classroom schedules, graduation contracts, commencement lists, and eligibility reports for co-curricular activities and organizations in a manner which ensures progressive excellence through processes that are technology enhanced, efficient, accurate and student centered.
- Prepares athletic eligibility reports for and with the Athletics Office.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of academic requirements and regulations, provides recommendations or assistance with the curricular process as needed.
- Maintains master class catalog; finalizes class and classroom scheduling; devises registration schedules and procedures; publishes class schedules in both print and web-based formats; updates schedules as changes are made.
- Provides academic advisors with essential information to ensure understanding of completion requirements, progression and graduation.
- Produces official documents by disseminating and exchanging information; provides and processes data; issues official transcripts; provides verification of enrollment and degree.
- Evaluates and supervises the transfer of credits, including military and foreign credits, for all transfer students.
- Supports and serves students, academic advisors, staff, faculty, and administrators by interpreting and clarifying University polices regarding graduation requirements.
- Works closely with the Deans in coordinating degree requirements, course descriptions, and course prerequisites.
- Primary campus coordinator for FERPA compliance.
- Maintains Registrar’s Office staff by recruiting, selecting, training and supervising employees; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; plans, monitors, and appraises job performance.
- Achieves financial objectives by preparing an annual budget; schedules expenditures; analyzes variances; initiates corrective action.
- Supports and affirms a culture of distinctive excellence and exceptional service.
- Attends university events, required meetings (including weekly Convocation) and actively participates on institutional committees as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; Master’s degree in higher education or related field preferred.
- Five to seven years progressively responsible experience in a collegiate records/registrar’s office setting, with at least three years in a supervisory capacity.
- Familiarity with Registrar best practices related to degree auditing and other records and registration policies and procedures.
- Understanding of FERPA and other legal requirements that affect higher education.
- Demonstrated effective leadership and organizational skills and commitment to providing superior customer service to internal and external customers.
- Demonstrated commitment to student-centered service.
- Experience and proficiency in utilizing Ellucian/Datatel Colleague or other similar student information system.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to work across departments, quickly establishing rapport with academic and administrative personnel.
- Demonstrated team-building skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds.