Financial Aid Advisor
OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued, and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of the title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
Under the direct supervision from the Director of Student Financial Services, this position facilitates the recruitment, enrollment, and retention of students by assisting students in completing financial aid application processes; determine aid eligibility, and counseling students and families on financing options and payments plans. The ideal candidate will be an independent and organized worker who is self-disciplined and motivated and able to work with minimal supervision under strict deadlines and a heavy workload.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Counsels students, parents, and other individuals on the financial aid application process, financial aid eligibility, loans, and financing options to prepare for the financial clearance process.
- Educates students on budgeting, debt management, and alternative ways to manage expenses associated with a college education.
- Confers with individuals and groups to disseminate information and answer questions relating to financial assistance available to students enrolled in the university.
- Consults with students to obtain information needed to determine eligibility for aid.
- Maintains knowledge of federal, state, and institutional policies in relation to awarding and disbursing financial aid.
- Determines student eligibility for financial aid through verification and makes financial aid decisions and awards for students in accordance with federal, state, and institutional policies.
- Responsible for the financial aid processes for students, which includes verifying and monitoring student files.
- Participates in trainings and conferences
- Serves as a liaison between financial aid and admissions/recruiting in an overall effort to achieve student satisfaction.
- Attends recruitment events and conducts financial aid seminars (local and out of state) for students and parents during open-houses and other times as assigned (including evenings and weekends).
- Maintains strict confidentiality of all activities in the Student Financial Services office.
- Supports and affirms a culture of distinctive excellence and exceptional service.
- Attends university events and required meetings
- Attends mandatory weekly Convocation
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Receives direct supervision from the Director of Student Financial Services and Executive Vice President for Finance.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily to perform the job successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- At least two years’ higher education financial aid experience is preferred
Mathematical and Technology Skills:
- Excellent command of English grammar and spelling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Bilingual preferably English/Spanish fluency
- Exceptional presentation and public speaking ability.
- Basic computational skills using a calculator.
- Working knowledge and application of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Preference given to candidates with experience using Ellucian Colleague.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
- Applies logical or scientific methods to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Must exhibit leadership skills.
- Possesses capacity for planning, organizing, and controlling.
- Advanced skills in team building, motivation, and conflict resolution.
- Must have high energy and a high degree of enthusiasm.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality regarding extremely sensitive matters.
- Excellent customer service, organizational skills, and computer skills
- Ability to travel
- Ability and willingness to rotate work schedule between days and evenings.
- Ability to work some weekend hours.
- Willingness to learn a vast array of systems and websites for financial aid
- Willingness and ability to work as part of a team as well as individually
- Ability to multi-task and work in a challenging and demanding position
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of the job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee will frequently be called upon and must be able to work long hours under stressful conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear.
Benefits package includes:
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. If a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.34 CRF (and subsections), insofar as they conflict with the Seventh-day Adventist teaching and practices.
- Health care, including vision, dental and prescription drug
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Competitive 403B plan Retirement Plan
- Tuition assistance for employees, spouses, and dependents
- Life insurance including supplemental and accidental death and dismemberment policies
- Long Term Disability
- Long Term Care Insurance
- AFLAC insurance
- Legal Assistance Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness programs
- Professional development classes