OVERVIEW OF THE UNIVERSITY
Washington Adventist University (WAU) is a Christ-centered institution of higher education that supports a culture of excellence where all feel valued. Nestled in a desirable residential community in Takoma Park, Maryland, WAU offers its faculty and staff an environment where professional expertise is valued and lasting connections between co-workers are formed as we work together to ensure the success of our students. Regardless of title, every employee supports WAU’s vision of producing graduates who bring moral leadership and competence to their communities.
Drives bus to transport passengers over specified routes to local or distant points according to time schedule by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operates bus in a safe and courteous manner.
- Protects passengers by enforcing transportation policies and procedures; and complies with traffic regulations.
- Assists passengers by loading and unloading baggage; aids in boarding and de-boarding the bus. Makes sure the overhead racks are loaded safely.
- Ensures passenger comfort by regulating the heating, lighting, and ventilating systems. Maintains order at all times.
- Completes operational requirements by doing a pre-trip and post trip inspection, completes and files appropriate paperwork; makes repairs and locks all doors & turns off batteries at end of the day.
- Maintains communication with Transportation by providing route and schedule information; and reports delays or accidents.
- Maintains professionalism by dressing neat and wearing a tie when on duty. Makes every attempt to keep bus clean in & out as far as weather permits.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Supports and affirms a culture of distinctive excellence and exceptional service.
- Attends University events and required meetings (including weekly Convocation)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supervision Received: Reports directly to the Transportation Director.
- Supervision Given: Maintains order on bus at all times. Does not allow group leaders to sway him/her to violate USDOT hours of service rules. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizations policies and applicable USDOT laws.
Must possess personal attributes that are in harmony with the philosophy and objectives of this organization. Must be able to effectively communicate with all levels and ages of passengers, private and public, provide leadership qualities and foster appropriate customer relations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree
- Two years minimum OTR driving experience on similar type vehicle
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
- Current Commercial Driver’s License with passenger endorsement and current medical and drug card.
- Superior command of English grammar and spelling
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to solve problems.
Mathematical and Technology Skills:
- Basic computation al skills.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must exhibit leadership ability.
- Possess capacity for planning and follow through; advanced skills in motivation and conflict resolution.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee will frequently be called upon and must be able to work long hours under stressful conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and drive long hours, be patient while waiting, sometimes a long while, and be away from home on frequent overnight/weekend trips.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Benefits package includes:
- Flexible Spending Plans
- Competitive 403B Retirement Plan (Voluntary contributions only for employees who work 20 or more hours per week)
- Supplemental life insurance
- AFLAC Insurance
- Legal Insurance Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is a religiously qualified Equal Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. As such the University has the legal right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day Adventist ("SDA") Church in its hiring process. In the event that a qualified SDA candidate is not identified, the University will give the opportunity to candidates who must understand and respect the mission, purpose, and identity of Washington Adventist University as a condition of their employment.