Washington Adventist University
(This is a paid internship opportunity open only to current WAU students)
Job Title: Communications Intern
Department: Integrated Marketing and Communications
Reports To: Social Media Marketing and Digital Strategist
Date Posted: 8/30/2018
Washington Adventist University (WAU) and the Office of Advancement and University Relations is looking for an intern interested in learning all aspects of Integrated Marketing and Communications and public relations field. The intern who fills this position should expect to learn the field from top to bottom. It's essential that applicants to this position have excellent communication skills, demonstrate creativity, and understand the importance of attending to even the smallest details.
- Assist in the creation of weekly bulletins via Constant Contact
- Write articles/stories on events around campus
- Attend weekly chapel on Wednesday and share video/photos on Instagram and Facebook
- Assist the maintenance and update of all forms of social platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube)
- Update campus wide digital signage
- Schedule and coordinate photo shoots, and other special events
- Must have a B.S. or B.A
- Must enroll or be enrolled as a WAU graduate Student (preferably in a Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or major of a related field)
- Ability to work individually and with a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Exceptional oral communications skills
- Ability to engage people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to handle information with confidentiality
- Good time management
- Exhibits professionalism and integrity, and is courteous to faculty, staff and students.
Students applying for this internship must have strong communication skills and experience in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Journalism or related field. Applicants should also have strong writing skills, as well as a solid understanding of social media, demonstrated ability to write for the web and social media venues; and strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize projects and manage multiple deadlines. Demonstrated experience with email communication campaigns, particularly e-newsletters. Candidates with experience in Constant Contact, Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office are a plus.
Title VII Exception Notice
Washington Adventist University is committed to equal employment opportunities, and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, age, race, color, or national origin. The University reserves constitutional and statutory rights as a religious institution and employer to give preference in employment to members of the Seventh-day Adventist church, and claims specific exemption from Title IX provisions as set forth in 34 CRF (and subsections), insofar as they conflict with the Seventh-day Adventist teaching and practices.